If you’ve come across essential oils but are not sure how to use essential oils safely and effectively, you’ve come to the right place. First, let’s clarify what essential oils are.
What are Essential Oils?
Have you ever smelled a flower and wished you could keep the scent forever? Have you noticed how certain natural scents can change your mood and take you back to your childhood? Essential oils capture that magic.
The reason they are called “essential” is that they capture the essence of the plant or flower they were extracted from, but there’s a lot more to essential oils than pleasant scents.
Essential oils play a critical role in protecting plants and helping them flourish, which might help explain why they often have powerful healing qualities. These highly concentrated oils are extracted from fruits, leaves, roots, flowers, and other parts of the plant. Each essential oil is carefully extracted through steam distillation, resin tapping, and cold pressing.
Top 3 Dos of Essential Oils
Do Use Essential Oils if You Deal with Anxiety
Using Lavender Essential Oil, Chamomile Essential Oil, and Rose Water can help you calm down during anxious episodes. They can be smelled directly from the bottle, diluted and then applied to the skin or diffused in an essential oil diffuser. Be aware that dealing with anxiety requires a holistic approach and that no single thing will cure it, but you can use essential oils to help relieve some stress and get into a more relaxed state.
Do Assess the Quality of the Essential Oils
In this day and age, many companies are claiming to produce high-quality essential oils. However, only a few can be genuinely trusted.
Here are some ways to assess the quality of essential oil.
- Check the website for authenticity
- Does their “About Us” or “Mission Statement” suggest they understand their products well and are involved in the process of extraction, distillation, and production?
- Do the essential oils have GC-MS Reports online to validate the oils’ purity
- Make sure that the oils are 100% pure and natural. Nothing added, nothing removed.
Do Dilute Essential Oils Before Applying to the Skin
Essential oils are very concentrated, and most of them are too strong to apply to the skin directly. Use Fractionated Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, or Black Seed Oil to dilute your essential oil at a ratio of 50:1. For easy measurement, try 6 drops of essential oil per each tablespoon of carrier oil.
Top 3 Don’ts of Essential Oils
Don’t Rub Essentials Oils Just Anywhere
It’s important to remember that essential oils are highly concentrated and should be used with caution. While some oils might be safe to apply directly to your arms and legs, they might not be safe to put inside your nose, mouth, eyes, or private areas. For example, Lemongrass, Peppermint, and Cinnamon Essential Oils can be disastrous if they get into your eyes or other sensitive areas.
Don’t Be Afraid to Try Them
If you use essential oils correctly, they can help improve your mood, promote better breathing, and help improve a variety of symptoms. For example, Tea Tree Oil has been used for centuries due to its incredible variety of benefits from cleaning wounds to improving skin problems. There are 3 main ways that essential oils are used:
1. Diffusion: Place a few drops of your favorite essential oil in a diffuser to experience its aromatherapeutic effects.
2. Topical Application: The most important thing to know about topical application is that you must dilute the essential oils before applying them directly to your skin. We recommend diluting your essential oils at a ratio of 50:1, which comes out to about 6 drops of essential oil per each tablespoon of carrier oil.
3. Inhalation: This is especially great for relaxation. If you’re feeling very tense or stressed, sometimes a whiff of Lavender Essential Oil can significantly calm you down and put you in a better mood.
Don’t Trust Marketing Buzzwords
Anybody can put the word “pure”, “purest”, and “therapeutic grade” on their essential oil. However, there are very few companies that take their quality seriously. One way you can make sure that a company is more than just clever with their marketing is by looking for evidence. For example, GuruNanda has several videos of our CEO exploring the farmlands, testing essential oils, and dealing directly with farmers to ensure the highest purity and quality.
You can enjoy the therapeutic power of essential oils, confident in the fact that you know how to use essential oils safely and effectively.