Many people suffer from allergies in the spring and summer – that’s almost to be expected. But what about winter allergies? These can be common as well, turning you into a year-round allergy sufferer.
If your traditional methods are failing to help, consider using essential oils for allergies. Essential oils may provide a natural way to decrease the symptoms of allergy experienced by you and your family.
What’s the Deal with Winter Allergies?
You may think you’re safe from allergic reactions in the winter because the most common cause of respiratory allergies – pollen – is not around in colder climates. But, according to The Washington Post, other common allergens such as dust mites, mold, and animal dander are still lingering indoors.
And, when it’s cold outside, we spend more time indoors, exposing ourselves to these common allergens for long periods of time.
Seasonal allergies develop when our immune system grows sensitive to these allergens, and overreacts to foreign particles in the environment.
Symptoms may include coughing, dark circles under the eyes, itchy, watery eyes, or an itchy, runny nose. These symptoms can mimic symptoms of a cold, but colds typically don’t last for longer than 10 days. More serious symptoms of allergies include inflammation and shortness of breath, which may be life threatening when they last for weeks or months on end.
It’s impossible to avoid triggers, but suffering from allergies does not have to be a given.
You may use essential oils for allergies in order to soothe the many common allergy symptoms once they appear, cleanse and purify the air indoors and help prevent future reactions.
5 Essential Oils for Allergies
1. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil can be used topically with a carrier oil to help unclog sinuses and soothe scratchy throats, help reduce inflammation, clear nasal congestion, and improve breathing. The cooling properties of peppermint essential oil may also help soothe dry nasal passages, while the warming properties may soothe any discomforts. Just apply it to the chest, the back of the neck, and your temples.
Peppermint oil may also help purify the air in your home or office. Simply add a few drops to an essential oil diffuser to help cleanse your space of pollens and allergens.
Directions for Using Peppermint Essential Oil in the Home:
- Diffuser: Adding a few drops of peppermint oil to an essential oil diffuser may immediately help clear your nasal passages, so you can breathe better.
- All-Purpose Cleaning Spray: Combine 10 drops of peppermint essential oil, 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil, 10 drops of orange essential oil, ¼ cup of vinegar and 1 ½ cup of water for a natural and effective all-purpose cleaning spray that is chemical-free.
2. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus essential oil is a key ingredient in cough and throat medicines and is the essential oil found in most commercial muscle rubs. It is used to help open nasal passages, clear your sinus congestion, and aid in better breathing.
Directions for Using Eucalyptus Essential Oil:
- Vapor Rub: Mix 3 – 5 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and peppermint essential oil with a few drops of fractionated coconut oil. Rub on your chest and neck to ease sinuses.
- Clear Sinus Congestion and Relieve Tension: Add a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil to a GuruNanda Aromatherapy Diffuser.
- Soothing Shower: Place a few drops of the eucalyptus essential oil on a warm, damp washcloth and set in the shower prior to showering for an invigorating experience.
- Ease Cold & Flu Symptoms: Add 2 drops of eucalyptus oil,lavender oil, and peppermint essential oil to a cool damp cloth and sponge your body entirely.
3. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil helps you overcome respiratory conditions, boost the immune system, clear the sinuses, reduce congestion and support drainage. Like peppermint, lemon oil may also help eliminate allergens from the air. You can use it in an essential oil diffuser or add a few drops to a natural cleaner to help disinfect and clean your home.
Directions for Using Lemon Essential Oil:
- Diffuser: Add a few drops of lemon essential oil to a GuruNanda® Aromatherapy Diffuser to cleanse and purify the air while uplifting your mood.
- Natural Disinfectant: Add 40 drops of lemon essential oil and 20 drops of tea tree essential oil to a 16-oz spray bottle filled with water and splash of white vinegar. Mix and spray on countertops and other surfaces to remove bacteria naturally.
- Occasional Cold and Flu Relief: Mix lemon essential oil with fractionated coconut oil and rub on your neck to help overcome a cold.
4. Tea Tree Essential Oil (Melaleuca Oil)
Tea tree essential oil is a disinfecting oil that may be used to help against mold, one of the most common allergens in the home. These airborne pathogens that are causing your allergies may be eliminated by diffusing tea tree essential oil in your home. Tea Tree oil can also be blended with other essential oils to create a natural household cleaner.
Tea tree oil may help clear mucus and congestion, and ease coughing. However, please note that tea tree oil should not be taken orally and has the potential to trigger allergies in certain people.
Directions for Using Tea Tree Essential Oil:
- Mold Eliminator: Diffuse 10 drops of tea tree essential oil to kill pathogens in the air that are causing mold and residue build up in your home.
- Household Cleaner with Tea Tree Oil: Combine 4 ounces of distilled white vinegar, 8 ounces of distilled water, 15 drops of tea tree oil, and 15 drops of lemon essential oil in a glass spray bottle (dark amber if possible). Shake well to mix and use on household surfaces to clean.
5. GuruNanda Breathe Easy Essential Oil Blend
If you’d rather have pre-blended essential oils for allergies, our Breathe Easy essential oil blend may help you breathe better and clear congestion by offering you a combination of eucalyptus, peppermint, basil, tea tree and rosemary essential oils.
This special blend may provide a natural remedy for the discomfort that often comes from nasal congestion. This blend of essential oils may have the therapeutic properties to cleanse the body and promote overall respiratory health.
Directions for Using the GuruNanda Breathe Easy Essential Oil Blend:
- Clear Nasal Congestion: Add a few drops of the GuruNanda Breathe Easy Essential Oil to a GuruNanda® Essential Oil Diffuser.
- Soothing Bath: Add a few drops of GuruNanda® Breathe Easy Essential Oil Blend to the bathtub.
- Room Spray: Combine 20 drops of the Breathe Easy oil blend with 5 ounces of distilled water in a spray bottle.
Precautions to Take When Using Essential Oils for Allergies
For the best results, always use essential oils for allergies as directed and make sure you are using quality products. Any time you use a new product or essential oil, you have the potential of triggering allergic responses if your body is overly sensitive. Be sure to test all new oils before you use them. If you don’t have a reaction in 24 hours, you should be safe to proceed.
Test them one at a time so you’ll know specifically which one is giving you a reaction. And remember that oils applied to the skin often need to be diluted with a carrier oil – such as almond oil or coconut oil – in a 1:10 ratio.
GuruNanda essential oils are 100% Pure & Natural Therapeutic Grade oils, and we guarantee that each batch comes directly from farm to you with nothing added and nothing removed. All our essential oils go through a rigorous quality-control process, and are Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS) tested for authenticity and therapeutic properties.
Plus, they contain no synthetics or additives and are always non-GMO!GuruNanda also offers you a 100 % satisfaction guarantee on all of our essential oils for allergies and other uses. If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, we will refund your purchase – no questions asked, so shop our oils (including all the ones listed in this blog post) risk-free today.